Wednesday, February 24, 2010

TAE's Utopian Daydreams, Part 2: Integrated Electronics

Arriving at the football game, I call my wife. I pull my Droid out of my pocket and find her number in the speed dial. I dial her, then put the phone away. A ring sounds in my left ear. Last month, I had a wireless device implanted on the surface of my ear drum, that strikes a tiny "mallet" on my drum, creating sounds where there are none. "Hello" I hear her voice.
"Update your location, I can't find you." I reply. "Okay," she says and I hear the hanging up noise.
After a moment, a red arrow appears in front of me on the ground, and the words "150 yards" appears below the arrow. I follow the direction of the arrow, which disappears when I pass over it. Further ahead, a second arrow appears, signalling a turn right out the concourse into the stadium seating area. I follow it. Of course, I am the only person that can see these red arrows. The information is being fed directly to my eyes via active contact lenses with tiny LEDs and circuitry printed directly on them. The contact lenses give off no magnification; my eyesight is fine. The circuitry is powered by radio waves beamed from a control unit in my hat. I follow the arrows until a "ding" in my ear informs me that I am near my wife. An arrow in the sky, pointing downward, indicates her location. I go meet up with her.

During the game, the down and distance, first down line, and various player stats are all displayed on my "heads up display" contacts. Mrs. TAE and I got $2 discounts on our tickets, but in exchange for this, during half-time Coca-cola beams a commercial directly to our eyes, even with our eyes closed we see the images. Coke, pouring out of a glass bottle (I mention to Mrs. TAE that glass bottle soda is impossible to find outside of Mexico) into a big glass fills our vision, but by now we are so used to ads being beamed in that we ignore it and enjoy conversation and the band out on the field. I hit my Droid, and the AM broadcast of the game comes up in my ear, and I listen to the commentators talk about the game so far.

During the second half, the home team pulls ahead, thank in part to updates the players receive in their helmet heads up displays. The visiting team is using a zone coverage, and the HUD of the quarterback informs him when the opposing team appears to be in zone, as well as when an opposing player is behaving erratically - often indicating a blitz.
Coaches on the home team pull receivers often, having been alerted by biochemical sensors on the receivers that they are fatiguing quickly due to the spread offense and high number of deep routes being run. Temperature sensors on lineman inform both teams coaches when lineman need a break, as they are quick to overheat.

Back up in the seating section, I am enjoying a new feature: the football has a tracking device in it, and it glows bright red in my contact lens HUD during plays. This allows me to see where the ball is, and laugh when the defense is duped by a fake hand-off.

After the game, my HUD leads me to my car. While we are walking, Mrs. TAE suggests we consider upgrading from our red monochrome contacts to newer contacts with 7 colors. I suggest we wait a little longer, I have read that the new 256 color contacts are expected to reach consumers within the next two months. Quickly, I tap my Droid interface. I mutter "256 color contact heads up display" and nearly instantly a google search result appears before my eyes, floating in the air in front of me. I reach out my hand and "touch" the second link down, it opens. I then drag the result by reaching out and grabbing it and I let go of it above my wife's head. It disappears, but I see her eyes scanning left to right, clearly she has received the data file and is reading it.
"Neat," she says, then reaches out and grabs the link, tossing it behind her, where it vanishes after a couple seconds.

When I get home, I remember that an old college friend I had seen at the game had suggested to me a musical group I would like, but I can't remember the name. Thankfully, video of my entire waking life is conveniently recorded in HD, and stored on terabyte hard drives. I plug the credit card-sized video camera that was attached to my shirt into a dock, and the day's events are quickly pulled up on my computer screen. I side-scroll until I see my friends face, then watch the conversation I had with him. Once he identifies the group, I tap my Droid and call up a Google search for the group, and then say "torrent" and a bittorrent search pops up. Thanks Pirate Bay, in seconds I have the album. I bring it up on my phone's music player, and after a second (virus scan delay) it starts playing in my ear. Best part of wireless, implanted earbuds is I can listen to music while my wife nags me and she never knows!


_

No comments: