Monday, November 9, 2009

My wife told me I was a jerk when I suggested this post to her.

While I watched the tragedy unfold in Texas, during which 13 people were killed and 30 wounded, I couldn't help but think to myself: "118 people died today in America in preventable traffic accidents, while another 5,000 Americans were involved in preventable traffic accidents that will leave them permanently disabled."

While I do not mean to downplay the events in Killeen, Texas...I just want to point out that for every person murdered on Nov. 5th at Fort Hood, there were nearly 10 people killed by motor vehicles that same day. For every person wounded by the shooter, there were 220 wounded by cars.

In the time it took me to write this short post, 14 Americans have died from the flu.


_

No comments: